Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Boy Who Could Fly

The Boy Who Could Fly
By James Norcliffe
Published by Egmont USA


I tried to get my son to read this book, but he wasn't interested. So I read it instead and really enjoyed it! The book is a children's book (312 pages) with the general theme of the grass always looking greener on the other side.

The Boy Who Could Fly is about a boy in an orphanage who is startled one day by meeting another boy in the inside of the walls of his unhappy existence. This stranger is able to fly and tries to get the boy in the orphanage to do the same. When the orphaned boy really does fly, he discovers that he has switched with the stranger and become the Loblolly Boy. The joy of freedom and flying soon becomes despair over now being very lonely as he is invisible to most people.

He does find at least one person who can see him and who helps him adjust to his new lifestyle. However, when he does something he should not have, the Loblolly Boy must flee and find new friends. He locates twin sisters who can see him and they quickly become his friends. New dangers are around the corner, however, and the boy and his friends must use their wits to save one another as well as unravel the Loblolly cycle.

I enjoyed this book although I was afraid that it would not have a happy ending. I was pleasantly surprised by the conclusion. For me, this book was simply a good story. This would be the kind of book a teacher might read to their students.

What did this book have to do with my faith? Even in my own life as a Christian, I see other people who seem to have it better than I do. They might seem more content with their life, more faithful to God or more spiritual. What would happen if I had the chance to switch with them? Would I find that their life was not so easy or rich?

As a pastor, I am called to preach the Word as well as take care of the flock. At one point in my career I had the chance to work outside a local church. For two years I worked with new pastors, planned recruiting, and assisted those who were struggling with a call to some form of ministry. Even though I really enjoyed meeting and working with all the people, I missed preaching. I even had a continuing ed group who told me over and over again that I belonged in a local church. Now that I am back in the local church and preaching each Sunday, I can appreciate the time I spent away from the church. Like the Loblolly Boy, I am much better able to see where I really belong.

I would be interested to know what grass looks greener on the other side for you.

I recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment