Monday, October 1, 2012

Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion

Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion
By Brandon Mull

In re-reading my review on the first book in this series, I realize how much I did not enjoy it. With this second book in the series, I again find myself not enjoying the series.

Can a book really be this boring? Last night I finally got to page 400 and the action was actually exciting for the first time. Otherwise, the characters just continue to travel from place to place, with little rest and actually not much hope for a positive outcome. I have not found the characters to be interesting and there doesn't seem to be much real interaction between them. Jason stops being the main character --we see more from Rachel's point of view -- and really is rather dull. I have yet to finish the book. I have never done this before writing a review but I don't expect anything to change in the next 80 pages.

What has this book to do with my faith? I suppose fiction can follow life. In Seeds of Rebellion, the characters never rest. Can anyone keep up this terrific pace? No one can go from adventure to adventure (although boring adventures) without some kind of down time. In the bible, God instituted the day of rest which is also known as the Sabbath. This must have been a foreign concept for God's people. They had been slaves and were not used to resting. But to take a day off for family, friends and God seems like a great idea. How many Christians do that today? Some folks may complain it is because we no longer have blue laws. However, we are all capable of managing our schedules and setting priorities. Is your priority on Sundays to worship God, spend time with your family and not do any work? You, like the characters in this book, cannot keep going without rest.

I do not recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment