Monday, August 1, 2011

A Dog's Purpose

A Dog's Purpose: A Novel for Humans
by W. Bruce Cameron
Published by Forge

Grab a cup of coffee, your tissue box and your four legged friend. A Dog's Purpose is a wonderful book that I laughed and cried all the way through. This is a work of fiction and a wonderful story that you will not be able to put down.

The main idea is the concept of reincarnation for the dog in order for him to understand his purpose. Cameron has done an excellent job of researching what makes a dog do what a dog does and he clearly loves dogs. Cats are another matter entirely. But that would be a subject for another book.

The book really brought home to me how confusing and strange we humans must look to our dogs. In fact, I was able to understand a bit more about my own dog and felt a deeper connection with her after reading this book. I know, I know, it is a work of fiction. But read it and you'll see! This would be a great book for someone who recently adopted a dog or lost a dog.

I would say more about the story, but I don't want to give too much away. I will say that the dog goes through four lives before becoming aware of his true purpose. In fact, in one of those lives he is a girl (which she doesn't realize until she is squatting to do her business).  The reader and the dog will think they have the dog's purpose all figured out but there is a really nice twist in the end. Hope I haven't spoiled anything for anyone by saying that!

This book had to do with my faith by making me think of what my own purpose in life is. I don't plan to be reincarnated so I am going to have to use this one life I have to realize this. This is what the book, The Purpose Driven Life is all about. Being a Christian means that I have the means of scripture, prayer, companionship, worship and sharing to discover what my purpose is. Rick Warren suggests that we are here to glorify God. I also think we are to share the gospel. For each one of us, we have different ways of fulfilling those. I understand more and more that one way I fulfill my own purpose is by writing. Do you know what your purpose is and how you are being called to fulfill it?

I highly recommend this book - another top ten for the year!

Happy reading! May you discover your own purpose -

Amelia

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment