Thursday, May 3, 2012

Under Attack


By Hannah Jayne

I loved the first book in this series, Under Wraps. You can read my review here. It may have even made my top ten for what I read in 2011. However, this second book was not well done at all.

I loved the main character, Sophie Lawson, in the first book because she was feisty yet imperfect. In Under Attack, she is just silly. She keeps doing things that make her look bad while everyone around her looks like they just stepped out of a magazine shoot. Sophie is constantly whining about life and her job situation. She is still mooning after Alex, although she understands that they have no chance at a long-term relationship. I enjoyed getting to know the characters, the setting and the plot in the first book. The setting here is uninteresting, the characters one-dimensional and the plot is way too predictable and silly. Sophie is supposed to be in danger from a newer character but there doesn't seem much to it unless you count the fact that she infrequently feels things or sees things happening that aren't there.

Sophie gets a few surprises about her own past, but there doesn't seem any mature attempt to find out more information. In fact, maturity has gone completely out the window. You can't be fired by your best friend/roommate even if she is sleeping with the new boss. She certainly wouldn't continue to be her best friend/roommate. You would probably not also try to save her life with your own. Sophie meets all her challenges with a lifeless and silly protest. Where is her courage? What happened to her feisty humor? She seems ready just to lie down and let life run her over.

What did this book have to do with my faith? Well, it was only a matter of time before the devil became a character in a book. Many other books have demons and vampires who are actually good guys. This book has angels who may or may not be bad guys. The devil makes somewhat of an appearance here and the response everyone has is indifferent if not (yes, I use this adjective again) silly. SPOILER: Guess who Sophie's dad really is? I know some folks who say the devil doesn't exist and others who live in constant fear of him. I guess I am somewhere in the middle. I believe that evil and the Father of Lies does exist and I take him seriously but I have a much healthier fear of God. I wish the characters in Under Attack had taken the devil more seriously.

I do not recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment