Monday, April 29, 2013

In a Fix

In a Fix
By Linda Grimes

Ciel Halligan is an aura adaptor. That is, Ciel can take on the physical appearance of any person she has touched. She belongs to a small group of similar people who stick together. However, the two men she is closest to - her best friend, Billy, and her secret crush, Mark - have taken their ability to a whole different level. Mark is a CIA agent and Billy is a freelancer who gives a little government help and is possibly involved in some criminal activity. Ciel has tried to begin her new business but it is slow going and she finds herself leaning on her family as well as her friends. What she doesn't know is that Billy and Mark are deeply involved in preventing something bad happening to Ciel. What they don't know is that Ciel will continue to do really stupid things to prove that she is capable of taking care of herself.

Ciel has got to be the most stubborn character I have encountered in any book. She makes decisions around dangerous situations that are obviously going to get her in even deeper trouble. And the more that those who care about her to do keep her safe, the more she is going to rebel. I think her main problem is lack of maturity. Although she is in her early twenties, she acts more like she is sixteen.

Her crush on Mark is cute but I really kept cheering for her relationship with Billy to turn out to be more than friendship. I think there is a possibility but I wouldn't doubt that in the next book, Quick Fix, Grimes will focus more on Ciel's relationship with Mark.

I have to say here that the plot was boring and rather contrived. I was more interested in the relationships than the plot and was constantly skipping and skimming ahead to get to the more interesting (for me, anyway) bits. Not a recommended read.

What does this book have to do with my faith? Ciel was not happy with her natural appearance. I suppose the ability to take on anyone else's looks and even perfect your own God-given body would take away the appreciation of what you had been given. However, it is evident that both Mark and Billy like Ciel just as she is. Why can't she do the same for herself? Why can't I like how God made me? Why am I always trying to cover up or play down certain aspects of my own body? Like, why did God have to bless me with a tendency to be "pleasantly plump" yet not have the ability to tan? The similarities to a beached whale are not appreciated. However, God made me the way I am for a reason and lots of people would kill for my complexion and hair color. I need to be satisfied with me.

I would not recommend In a Fix.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment