Monday, July 1, 2013

Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary

Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary
By Brandon Mull


Well, the books are getting longer in the Fablehaven series and Seth and Kendra are getting into more danger and loss. This book seemed particularly dark to me. A lot of unhappy things happened to both brother and sister and their friends. Seth was very annoying and I found myself tired of his really immature behavior. He keeps saying he has learned his lessons about obeying the rules, yet he continues to do his own thing. He does end up saving lives but at what expense?

I kept trying to identify the traitor in their midst but came up hopelessly wrong. I was really thrown for a loop when someone who was very trusted ended up being a major enemy. In fact, I thought that the means for overcoming this new threat was almost an afterthought and very anti-climatic. Mull keeps surprising, even at this late date.

What did this book have to do with my faith? Seth has become a shadow charmer which means that he has several new abilities, including hearing evil things talking. As he talks with his grandpa about this new ability, he is given some wise advice. "...I do know that there is a difference between hearing and listening. You can't always help what you hear. But you can control what holds your interest, what you choose to dwell on." How I wish I could hold on to that advice. I hear many things -- some from the world around me and others from fellow Christians. I tend to hear the criticisms, the evil, the poorer influences louder than the encouragement and the love. Yet, I do have the ability to choose what I dwell on. What do you choose to dwell on?

I recommend this book for those of you who have already read books 1-3.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment