Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dreams of a Dark Warrior



Sorry to have been so slow in reviewing books lately. I have to admit I have been reading some particularly bad free Kindle books (not worth the review) as well as watching lots of movies and Korean drama. I will be out of town for a week, so it may be the first of July before I get on my regular schedule again.

I have been reading the entire Immortals After Dark series over the past few months. I tried to read them in order, but I ended up with this one last (there is one more in the series after this). I did discover in my online perusal that the Regin character (the female protagonist) was actually the one character that Cole had in mind during the entire eight previous books. So, it was only fitting that I ended with this one.

I am not sure I can recommend Dreams of a Dark Warrior. I had read another review that called this a darker book in the series. I did not find it as dark, probably because I had already read the next one and knew much of the outcome. I found the character of Declan hard to understand or pin down. I was never sure what led him to such awful behavior before he family was killed. There was also some understanding that he was a reincarnation of some sort but I never did get that part, either. It was also hard to follow the love story between the two – captor and victim. Did Regin just love Declan because she knows he is a reincarnation of her first love? Or was it some sort of psychological twist? Why is Declan so obsessed with Regin? And what kind of relationship are these two really going to have in the future?

I suppose my review is sounding fairly vague at this point. If you want to know more about the Immortals After Dark series, check out my previous review here. Or you can check out Cole's link below the title above.

What did Dreams of a Dark Warrior have to do with my faith? One of the overlooked tenants of Christianity is the understanding of being weak. It is when we are weak, know we are weak, and accept our own weakness.Then the power of God is able to work in us and through us without a doubt. WE cannot claim it was by our power alone. We must recognize God's power. In this book, both Declan and Regin come face to face with their weaknesses. They both discover that they are not as all-powerful as they had come to believe. Of course, it is the power of their love for one another (with a little help from reincarnation) that gets them through. They end up still reveling in their own power, although they do seem to make some room for one another's weaknesses. Makes me wonder what my true weaknesses are and how I can allow God's power to work through me in the midst of them.

I would only recommend this book if you are interested in the entire series. And, yes, I do recommend that you read them in order.

Happy reading!

Amelia



No comments:

Post a Comment