Friday, May 11, 2012

SEAL of My Dreams



SEAL of My Dreams is an anthology of short romance stories involving Navy SEALS and the women who fall in love with them. I had heard about this book months ago. All proceeds from the sale of this book go to the Veterans Research Corporation, which supports veterans medical research (all branches of the service). Even the editing, cover design and cover picture (the back of an actual SEAL) were all donated to this cause.

What I liked about the book was that not every woman was thrilled that the love of her life was in the service or had been in the service. Some of them were actually anti-war and others had a difficult time embracing the life of a Navy SEAL spouse. Many of the short stories covered SPSD, loss of limbs, challenges adjusting to civilian life, difficulties SEAL families face with the unknown (most don't know where their loved one is deployed or when he will return), grief over lost servicemen and challenges of the battlefield.

My top three favorites were: “Signed, SEALed, Delivered...I'm Yours,” by Christine Ridgway, “SEALed by Fate,” by Marliss Melton, and “Not Waving but Drowning,” by Jo Leigh.

What did this book have to do with my faith? This book made me think about being a part of something bigger than yourself. That theme came up in a couple of the stories. It made me think about the fact that, as a Christian, I am a part of something bigger than myself. Most folks probably don't see that. Many people want to have more than a visceral experience. Therefore, they join the military, become missionaries, join the Peace Corps or go into social work. They recycle, buy fair trade goods, and help cut down on water, gasoline and energy consumption. They buy local, buy American, or grow it themselves. How can I experience being a part of something bigger than myself as a Christian? Do I have to become a missionary in order to do this? How can I live out my faith and experience?

I highly recommend SEAL of My Dreams!

Happy reading,

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment