Monday, October 29, 2012

Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits
By Katie McGarry

I decided I wanted to read this book when I saw a picture of the cover. I was also curious as this is a Harlequin Teen book -- I wondered what they would  produce. I had to wait awhile but just finished reading it this week.

I want to say I enjoyed reading it -- which I did -- but I also want to say that this is not a light hearted romance for high schoolers. There are some very serious issues covered here: parental relationships, foster care, grief, counseling, illegal and prescription drug use/abuse, bullying, abuse, sex, memory loss, and self-acceptance.  I even found myself crying toward the end, which is not something I do very often!

I liked the characters in terms of the fact that they both grow and learn through their experiences. And they seem so right for one another! Echo Emerson (yes, that is her name) hides her arms under long sleeves and jackets but that isn't all she is hiding. Noah Hutchins seems like the typical bad boy -- but is he? I really liked their romance, especially as it was not all touchy-feely stuff. It felt real rather than contrived for the plot.

What did this book have to do with my faith? Both Echo and Noah feel like God has abandoned them. I don't think they are atheists but they certainly do not have any type of faith in God. This is because of the tragedies that they have had in their lives and the loss of those close to them. Reading Pushing the Limits made me realize how much most people need God and a church community to help them through life yet so many don't have God much less that community of faith. The book made me thankful that I have a place I can go when I feel overwhelmed by tragedy.

I highly recommend Pushing the Limits.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment