Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How Do You Kill 11 Million People?

How Do You Kill 11 Million People?
By Andy Andrews

Do you automatically expect politicians to lie?

Do you trust the 545 people who make decisions for us 311 million people here in America?

Would you know the truth if you even heard it? Did you know the biggest lies are the easiest to swallow?

We have a lot we can learn from history, especially from the Nazi regime which killed over 11 million people. Andrews is not so sure we are awake enough to listen or to learn. He wrote this book to explain how important the truth is for everyone yet we live with ongoing apathy to what our government -- Democrats and Republicans alike -- are saying and doing.

If I write much more in my review, it will be longer than the book! Read it or listen to the whole book by clinking on the link in the book title. It is really a nonpartisan wake up call. I asked my 11 year old to read it.

What does this book have to do with my faith?  One of the most frightening stories Andrews shares is about the church which sat close to the railroad tracks. The trains carrying the Jews (and others) to the concentration camps would come by during their worship services. The screams from these terrified people could be heard in the church. Not only did these Christians do nothing but they began singing hymns louder and louder in order to try to drown out the screaming. How often do both my church and I ignore the truth or do nothing about injustice? I am appalled...at my own behavior.

How loudly are you singing?

I highly recommend this book.

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment