Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Unraveling Isobel

Unraveling Isobel
By Eileen Cook

I have enjoyed several books written by Cook and Unraveling Isobel is one of the most fun. It has elements of teen angst, ghosts, an evil stepfather, peer pressure, romance and psychosis. What is real and what is simply in Isobel's over-active imagination? Is she going crazy like her father? Who can she trust - her new gorgeous stepbrother or the local high school cheerleader captain?

I am not going to say much more about the plot because there are several mysteries and surprises throughout the book. I will say I would recommend reading this during the day. It is a teen novel, so there are some expectations that come with that, including the fact that the main character is still maturing in many ways. But you will find yourself cheering her on by the end of the book.

I am a bit disappointed in Isobel's parents. Neither one seem to be great at parenting. Why didn't her father make more of an effort to communicate with his only daughter? What is the deal with her mother -- she is just as immature as Isobel?

The question of ghosts is a very real issue in this book. Are ghosts real? If so, how come not everyone sees them or experiences them? Can you be a Christian and still believe in ghosts? That is my faith question for Unraveling Isobel. As far as I know, I have never seen a ghost. However, there have been times when I have felt a presence that I couldn't just explain with my imagination. I have taken pictures where there is an unexplained orb of light floating there. Is this a ghost or a trick of the light? Isobel and her friends use a ouija board which I have never done -- as the book highlights, it is too easily manipulated. And if we are Christian, with a sense of the holy and the Holy Spirit, is anything too great or wonderful for God? Or even the father of lies? Can unhappiness linger in a place without the actual presence of a spirit?

I would be interested in your ideas and responses to these questions!

And I highly recommend Unraveling Isobel!

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment