Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Through the Ever Night

Through the Ever Night
By Veronica Rossi

I grabbed this second book in the series when I got Under the Never Sky. Now I can't wait for the third installment, Into the Still Blue, which is coming out next January. There is also an ebook story available about two other characters in the series.

In this second book, Aria and Perry have been separated for just a few months but both have been through many changes and challenges. They struggle to keep their romance while meeting expectations of other people. Aria becomes closer to Perry's friend Roar but theirs is not a romantic relationship. Aria and Perry seem to have doubled the amount of enemies around them and the land on which most of the remainder of humanity sits is in danger of being completely destroyed. Rossi tackles the principles of leadership, the sorrows of loss and growing in relationships while growing in maturity.

Maturity seems to be the real issue of this book. Perry and Aria are forced to make decisions without much wise or mature council. Everyone around them who can guide them seems to be about their same age and maturity level. Those who are older are either enemies or in the midst of their own difficulties.

That brings us to what this book had to do with my faith. I think it is so important that we find mature Christians who can help to guide and mentor us in our journey. No matter what age we are, we should do our best to find at least one or more mentor-types and we should listen to them. Get to know them. Spend time with them. Learn from them. Looking back, I see what lessons and guidance I received in my first church. Even though I was in my early thirties when I began preaching there, I still needed some coaching and guidance. There were several wise guides who helped me and one woman in particular who was such an inspiration and influence. I think my wise Christian friends include my prayer partner among others. Who are your mentors in the faith?

I highly recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment