Wednesday, July 17, 2013

24 Girls in 7 Days

24 Girls in 7 Days
By Alex Bradley

Jack Grammer has always wanted to go to his Senior Prom (and no, he is not like THAT). The problem is he doesn't have a steady girlfriend and the one girl that he asks says no. To cheer him up and get him to the dance, his two best friends take out a personal ad in the school newspaper. After 200 responses, they choose 24 for him to date in the next week and pick one to take to prom. The pressure is on!

Jack learns a lot about himself, his friends, his classmates and girls in the week leading up to prom. He makes a very wise decision about the dance and ends up having the time of his life. Of course, he went through a lot of highs and lows to get there. And he learns how to kiss.

I liked reading a book from the guys' point of view. Most of what I read has a young female protagonist. Although Jack begins the book as being fairly naive and indecisive, he does a great deal of growing up over the course of one week.

This book is also very funny with passages that you will want to read to your perplexed family. Please note that not all passages are suitable for children under 17.

What did this book have to do with my faith? Jack discovers that sometimes it is wonderful to have the help of friends. At other times, it is better to do things and make discoveries on your own. My own faith life is like that. My difficulty is that I often choose to do without the help of friends (I know what I need and want best, anyway) and I miss out on the community. How do you balance friends and self in your life of faith?

I highly recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment