Monday, July 15, 2013

Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison

Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison
 By Brandon Mull

I have so far reviewed the first four books in this series, so I won't add much by way of explanation of the storyline. If you haven't read any of the others, this book will not be as much fun for you. Seth, Kendra and their friends are trying to beat the Sphinx and keep him from getting all five keys that will open the demon prison, Zzyxx. I enjoyed seeing how Seth and Kendra had matured over the course of the series.

I did not enjoy the constant deaths of people: both old and new friends.  I also was not happy about another twist Mull added concerning the keys. Not only are there five keys but five people who are sort of guardians of each key. The keys can't be used on the prison as long as all five people live. A lot of time and energy is spent in trying to keep them alive. In addition, the Sphinx loses some control over the situation and suddenly there are new bad guys to fight and not much hope for the good guys.

What did this book have to do with my faith? I hate for this to be a spoiler, but I found that it was very interesting that the empty demon prison would become the new kingdom for the fairies. What was once ugly, barren and evil would soon be beautiful, alive and full of goodness. It reminds me of the whole understanding of God's power of redemption and resurrection. What was full of death, sin and brokenness becomes filled with the power of life, freedom, perfection and wholeness. But only through the power of Almighty God. Where does God need to touch you in your own life today?

I recommend this book for those who have read the rest of the series.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment