Monday, July 22, 2013

The Crown of Embers

The Crown of Embers
 By Rae Carson

Carson continues the story of Elisa, now Queen Elisa of Joya d'Arena. The first book in this series is You can find my review of Girl of Fire and Thorns on the list to the right. Elisa is the widow of the late king and holds her title until her stepson comes of age. She is trying desperately to lead but her new main purpose seems to be to find a new husband. What happened to the brave young woman who saved her new country from the Invierne invaders? The woman who found herself while living with her captors in the desert seems lost in the relative safety of the castle. At the same time, she has also lost her heart.

Although Carson seems to have the same pattern with this book as the previous book - girl must go on journey to realize her abilities and save her kingdom - this was still a well-written novel. The characters are more developed and small secrets come to light as the journey unfolds.

What did this book have to do with my faith? One thing that Queen Elisa must do is face her fears and trust that where she is being led is where she needs to go. She has been told that she will be tested and will be asked to do something that puts others in danger. Others believe in her but she must truly believe in herself. That is often a part of being a follower of Jesus. I must face my fear head on. I must go where I am being led. I understand that I will be tested (why else do we pray these words in the Lord's Prayer: "deliver us from evil?"). Perhaps part of my own reluctance is that I am safe and secure where I am. I don't want to step out on faith because that means a loss of my own control. I can be hurt. Others may be hurt. If I stay here, it seems like everything will be okay.

I highly recommend this book, especially for readers of the first book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

1 comment:

  1. Sorry dear reader but I apparently never reviewed this first book! I do highly recommend it, however. Amelia

    ReplyDelete