Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Daybreak

Daybreak
By Ellen Conner

This is the final in the Dark Age  Dawning trilogy written by Ann Aguirre and Carrie Lofty. I have reviewed both Nightfall and Midnight and really only recommended the second book. I am sorry to say I cannot recommend this final book. I was very disappointed because I looked forward to seeing these two characters who were 12 years younger in the first book. In fact, I would not be writing this review at all if I had not reviewed the other two.

Not only is the premise more than unbelievable but the characters changed in ways that were unexplainable. Tru Daugherty (yes, that's the guy's name) is a real sicko at the beginning but it is hard to fathom how he got that way if he was raised by Mason and Jenny from the first book. He did lose his wife and child but the book didn't really explain how that made him the way he ended up. I really can't see that being such a personality changer. But even more strange is the rapid way he changes again within a few chapters. Has Pen Sheehan actually gotten to him that much?

Speaking of Penelope, I don't find her character believable either. I am not sure exactly what she has done for everyone to admire her and call her the Orchid, but she doesn't come across as a hero in any kind of shape or form in my eyes. I also can't understand why Tru has such a problem with her willingness to be a sacrifice to the good of others. They both have unanswered ways of acting and reacting that made my head spin. I never got a good grasp on either character.

I won't get into the plot or some of the unbelievable things that happen. I did like that there was hope for the future. I still ended the book (okay, skimmed) thinking that I was not sure how that hope was going to be realized.

What did this book have to do with my faith? Pen is willing to be a self-sacrifice for the good of others. Tru has a hard time with this. Of course, Tru ends up almost becoming a self-sacrifice. This made me think of the concept of self-sacrifice. As a Christian, I understand what Jesus did for the sake of the world. But, as a human, I struggle with the idea of giving up your own life for the lives of others. Those  who are or have been in the military might understand this concept better than I. Yet, the pinnacle of what I believe really does revolve around self-sacrifice for the good of others. If I am to truly follow Jesus, does that mean I must sacrifice myself? Jesus tells us to take up our own crosses and follow him. What does that mean for me? For you?

I don't recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment